The Center for Hispanic Excellence: La Casa Latina is a crossroads of academic, personal, and professional growth for the University of Pennsylvania students interested in Latinx and Latin American cultures. The Center works closely with the Penn community to offer a supportive environment where all students are welcomed and engaged in programs, events, and dialogues that address important issues affecting Latinxs/Hispanics locally, nationally, and internationally.
La Casa supports the Latinx Coalition, a student-run umbrella organization, and all of its constituent groups. The Center offers programs including mentorship to cultivate social and intellectual growth, Freshman Fuerza to build networks early in the student experience, and Latinx Heritage Month to educate and celebrate with the Penn campus at large.
La Casa Latina’s Goals
- Collaborate with the Latinx Coalition to create programs that represent the rich diversity of the Latinx Community and reflect the artistic, academic, cultural, social and political aspects of all Latinos at Penn.
- Establish new resources, programs and services to attract new Latinx members of the community to La Casa Latina.
- Partner with University departments to provide resources, services, and programs toward the goal of retaining Latinx students.
- Develop revenue sources for the support of its new programming, resources, services and facilities.
- Establish new resources, programs and services to recruit and better serve first-year Latinx students in their transition to college and integration at Penn.
- Increase the community’s awareness and utilization of its services through outreach programs.