Our testing policy is as follows:
ACT or SAT
TOEFL or IELTS (For international applicants - see Required Testing section)
Two SAT Subject Tests (further recommendations below)
- We do not require the writing portion of the ACT
- Current (March 2015 onwards). We do not require the essay portion of the current SAT
- Students who are native speakers of English or who attend school where the language of instruction is English are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS
The ACT or the SAT is required. Official scores must be sent to Penn directly from the ACT or the College Board. In addition, students whose native language is not English or attend a school where the medium of instruction is not in English, should take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Results should be forwarded directly by the testing agency to the Office of Admissions.
Tests must be taken by the appropriate application deadline:
|Early Decision||Regular Decision||Transfer Decision|
|Latest SAT Test Date||November 2018||December 2018||March 2019|
|Latest ACT Test Date||October 2018||December 2018||February 2019|
|Latest SAT Subject Test Date||November 2018||December 2018||December 2018|
Testing codes: SAT – 2926; ACT – 3732; TOEFL 2926
SAT Subject Tests are recommended but not required. Applicants who do not take SAT Subject Tests will not be at a disadvantage in the admissions process.
|Area of Study||RECOMMENDED subject test(s)|
|Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences||Any two Subject Tests|
|Nursing||Science, preferably Chemistry|
|Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM)||Math Level 2 and a science test (preferably Physics for Engineering Applicants)|
|Business||Math Level 2|
- Score Choice: Although we permit Score Choice, we encourage students to submit their entire testing history for both ACT and SAT exams.
- SAT vs. ACT: No preference is given to the SAT or the ACT. If an applicant submits both tests, we will pay attention to the higher score from either test.
- Superscoring: For the SAT (pre-March 2015) SAT scores will only be superscored with other pre-March 2015 SAT results. Current SAT scores (March 2015 onwards) will only be superscored with current SAT test results. For the ACT, we consider the highest individual English, Math, Reading, and Science scores across test sittings. In other words, we superscore the ACT and we superscore within old and current SATs but not between old and current SAT tests.